To GIVE is to freely transfer the possession of (something) to (someone); hand over to.
The holidays have been designated as the perfect time to give. It is that time of year again. We find ourselves in the position of high pressure gift buying, over-booked for holiday parties, and trying to keep the magic alive for all the littles swooning at our feet. Why not try to boost spirits and serotonin levels, even our own, when depression is at it’s highest, by just giving back. Let's give smiles to those who could use a boost, gifts to children who are in the hospital or without a home, meals to those without and a little sunshine when the world is at its darkest. According to the article, Hidden Brain by NPR, “The holidays are about nurturing our best selves: the altruistic, compassionate and generous side.” How can you polish the best you have within whilst, keeping calm and enjoying the season?
There are a variety ways that you can give this season (or all year):
- executing an anonymous selfless act
- volunteering your time at the local food bank
- donating a monetary amount to a charity
- taking to coats to a clothing drive
- knitting scarves for the homeless
- making meals for a family in need
- visiting a nursing home or orphanage
Now where do you start? Many find it difficult to know where to help. One can look in the local newspaper or investigate a local church or school social media. You may call your local homeless shelter, children’s hospital or nursing home. Asking a neighbor, local businesses or radio stations can also be beneficial. If you live in Metro Denver, check out these sites for more ideas:
Here at TJC Real Estate and Management Services, we try to find ways to give all year round. Being a part of the community and supporting the needs of our community are very important to every staff member here at TJC. Need some real time ideas? Here are some of our recent altruistic and community building endeavors:
- We collectively donated $900 to Real Giving, a local fundraiser to help supply families in need from neighborhood schools with grocery gift cards in time for Thanksgiving.
- TJC owners and staff members volunteered their time to work the Goddard School FallFest 5K earlier this month to help raise money for DIPG, a rare form of brain cancer.
- At Winter Welcome, an annual Stapleton community event, we opened our doors to our friends, neighbors, clients and local patrons as we celebrated with them, the beginning of the holiday season with a complimentary photo opp, Candy Land game and hot chocolate bar. We collected donations (and will continue until November 30th) for MotherWise Colorado, a non-profit empowering women and their families during the time of pregnancy and post birth. Just text "MotherWise" to 41444 and you will receive a donation link. For any donation, you can stop by our TJC office for a BIG candy surprise!
In months past, there are many great causes and events that we had the honor of participating in:
- As a team, we handed out over 500 reusable water bottles to the participants at the Stapleton Kid’s Triathlon. This is by far one of our favorite annual events. It is so rewarding to see the younger generations commitment to being healthy (though for them, it may be just having fun, which is great too!) and having the perseverance to finish the race on their own!
- TJC is an annual sponsor of Stapleton’s MCA, Master Community Association. By being a Dreamliner sponsor, it helps fund all the great free events Stapleton has to offer. In turn, this builds a sense of community, not just in Stapleton, but with the surrounding neighborhoods as well. This year at our events we raised a sizable cash donation for the Wild Animal Sanctuary.
- Our TJC team donated their time to work a fun event for a great Denver K-8 school at the 2018 Bill Roberts Carnival.
- We sponsored the Monteview Preschool Annual Kickball Tournament. Hopefully next year we get to play!
- TJC sponsored the East High School's Athletic Department and East High School's Golf Club (you should have seen our Managing Broker in a traditional golf outfit, argyle socks and all! There was much fun to be had!).
- We also sponsored the women's national Rugged Rugby Tour, where the east and west coast teams met for an amazing competition.
- Deb Arp, one of our amazing Distinctive Properties Realtors, supports a non-profit close to her heart, The Ralston House, an organization that helps children heal from abuse. This year we were fortunate to be able to offer a weekend in the mountains to help raise money for this great cause!
- The Knop Home Team, Damon and Katie Knop, also with Distinctive Properties, part of the TJC family, support the DSST High School Athletic department by hosting a concession booth throughout the season!
Realize that every little bit helps and by showing others how they can do the same will make your gift even larger as the spirit of giving is very contagious. Along with giving, remember that attending social gatherings, community events, and local fundraisers are other ways to spread joy, build community and create bonds that make those lives around us so much brighter.
Brought to you by Sondra Lockett-Cameron, Marketing Manager for TJC Real Estate & Management Services.
TJC Real Estate & Management Services • 303.324.6988 • email@example.com
Your Neighborhood Realtors® Since 2005